Towers & insurance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Towers & insurance
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 10:43:55 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-01-16 18:31:33 EST, n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider) writes:

>> I just received my new homeowners policy from Allstate.
>> Because of some previous discussion on this reflector, I
>> actually _read_ the policy to see if the tower was
>> covered. It was pretty obvious that it was not covered.
>>
>> I called the agent, and she confirmed that it was not covered,
>> but she added a rider (that's not the term she used) to cover
>> it. The additional premium was $38 per year for a declared value
>> of $5000.
>>
>> Dave Hachadorian, K6LL

>Dave, my "Deluxe" Allstate policy does cover my towers, both of them,
>(up to 10% of my basic coverage) because they are "other structures".
>I've already had one claim for wind damage to my 80M rotatable dipole @
>149 ft and received full replacement value (minus depreciation and
>deductable), including professional tower company removal and
>installation.  All at no additional premium  Better have her supervisor
>check the policy again.
>
>  Bill  N3RR

      I'll go along with Bill.  Many times your insurance company will
consider them appurtenant structures and the maximum indemnification (payment
of compensation or reimbursement) will be limited to the 10% (of the insured
value of your home) that Bill mentions.  A special rider will increase the
amount of indemnification.

     If your insurance doesn't consider your tower/antenna system as an
appurtenant structure, it'll probably still be covered as unscheduled
personal property.  Regardless of how it's defined, you're covered.  The
question is to what amount.  For bigger installations, you'll want the
additional rider.

     If you have a storm damaged system,  by all means file a claim and get a
professional quote.  Matt, KC1XX, does them and so do I.  Other tower
companies will provide them.  If the antenna system is damaged, DO NOT
attempt to remove it yourself.  Get some professionals in for this most
dangerous activity.

     BTW, the biggest incentive for the insurance company is to close the
file on your claim and they've never run into someone with a damaged
tower/antenna before.  They are very happy if you can show up with a bonafide
estimate of repair and sometimes will write you a check on the spot.

    Yes, this topic is covered in my upcoming book on tower construction for
hams.

73,  Steve  K7LXC