Telrex v. DX Engineering

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Telrex v. DX Engineering
From: n4si@techinter.com (n4si)
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 22:17:44 +0000
> I've always admired the Telrex line of antennas and I'm leaning
> in that direction, but I understand that the company folded a
> few years ago.  Obtaining replacement parts concerns me.

Obtaining parts from Telrex was a problem even when they were in
business. Stay away from it.

> If I go the guyed route, is fiber-stran from Phillystran better
> than using E.H.S-steel strand and breaking it up with insulators?

I like Phillystran a lot. It looks good, and has no RF issue at all.
It costs about 20% more to guy a given tower than steel broken up
with insulaters.

There is a body of thought that indicates that perhaps breaking up
steel guys is not as necessary as we once thought. I believe Lew,
K4VX, has written on it.

73, Rod N4SI
    The DXer formerly known as N9AKE
         (c) 5 November, 1996