Antenna modeling software

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Antenna modeling software
From: Norm_Beasley@sil.org (Norm_Beasley@sil.org)
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 13:20 -0500 (EST)
     Darrell,

     Read with interest your comments below. I am not a very technical
     person, and have only played with the W7EL(?)s EZNEC recently. With
     what I know and have played with it is a good program, but I am still
     learning it.

     What really caught my eye was your comment about the parasitic vs. 2
     element driven delta loop. I used a 40 meter version from here, 2 full
     wave delta loops, spaced 17 feet apart, with the loops fed 180 degrees
     out of phase (ZL Special). I pointed it about 45 degrees to favor the
     US and had a ball on 40. The friend that helped in the design of it
     was recently killed in a small plane accident, so I can't ask him. As
     I recall, he felt that the out of phase feeding was a better system
     than a driven element with a parasitic reflector. Pete was an RF
     Engineer, worked with the US Navy and then worked for
     Motorola/Australia. He could talk in circles over my head, but
     normally brought it down to my level.

     I used the 40 meter array for about a year, then had to move houses on
     our mission compound. It was large and unwieldy, but could be rotated
     in a sense (several hours to pull up the anchor ropes, move
     everything, rearrange the loops and then re-stake it to the ground.)
     We are now back from furlough in the USA and have a tower coming, to
     plant in our own yard. I am planning on building my farm around the
     tower, but haven't come to any conclusions about what I want for
     antennas for the lower bands yet.

     Well, I've waffled on long enough. Hope this is of some interest to
     you.

     73,
     Norm Beasley, P29NB/KO4CB
     Ukarumpa, PAPUA NEW GUINEA