Oops HD hit the dust

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Oops HD hit the dust
From: jleikhim@nettally.com (Leikhim, Joe)
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 23:33:13 -0500
k4sb@avana.net wrote:

> My Seagate ST31640A bit the dust today. Machine running fine when I
>noticed the HD light was
> on continuously, and smelled a slight burning odor. ( from the
>computer ).
> My question is can this critical data be pulled off and then the drive
>shipped to Seagate.
> If you know place around Atlanta, would appreciate info.

I had a similar failure once and considered the following; the damage
was a chip on the control board on the drive, pretty obvious torch job.
I was considering borrowing a drive of the same type and swapping that
portion. I don't know if this would work, and of course if a short
inside the drive case caused the damage there would be two drives going
in for repair.

--
Joe Leikhim
Jleikhim@nettally.com

"tv dinner by the pool,
i'm so glad i finished school" -F.Zappa 1967