Foldover tower raising fixture

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Foldover tower raising fixture
From: jleikhim@nettally.com (Leikhim, Joe)
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 23:32:35 -0500
Paul Ash wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am interested in building/purchasing a raising fixture for my
> crankup/foldover tower. I understand that at least one of these
> is availible commercially.

Paul, I have a US Tower TX489MDPL 89 foot motorized tower, It has the
TRX80HD mast raising fuxture. This "heavy duty" fixture lists at $567.00
and weighs 155 lbs. This is their middle sized fixture. The "standard"
is smallest is $431 and the largest "heavy duty" model is $799.

The fixture consists of a verticle .250" wall box member 6" x 2" about
7.25 feet high with  a pair of .250" wall box members each 2" x 2" about
4.5 feet long as leg supports angled from about 3 feet up the verticle
down to two of the tower leg supports on the tower base. The unit has a
3.25" and 5.25" pulleys at the top and a pair of 3.25" pulleys mounted
on the central leg of the tower. A hand winch pulls the 1/4" cable
through the large pulley to one of the small pulleys on the tower, back
to the small pulley on the fixture, back through the second small pulley
on the tower and terminates at an "eye" on the fixture. The unit is
pretty impressive. You could probably construct something along these
lines for your tower if you had ready access to the proper materials and
welding equipment. However it does require proper attachment to the
tower base and on the tower itself for the pulleys.

I think that having the proper attachment points on the base and
the tower itself might pose the largest safety risk in constructing one.

Even if the tower and base are equipped for it, I would check the market
for a good price on one ready made before building one.

--
Joe Leikhim
Jleikhim@nettally.com

"tv dinner by the pool,
i'm so glad i finished school" -F.Zappa 1967