ComTek on 17 Mtrs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: ComTek on 17 Mtrs
From: wa0etc@ix.netcom.com (Larry Lindblom)
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 1997 11:26:14 -0800
I've stumbled across something interesting with the 40 Mtr box and
sloping dipoles.  Other day heard CY0SAB on 18.145 with a 55 signal.
Realized I was on the 40 Mtr phased array so I switched to the R-7, my
only antenna resonate on 18 Mhz.  His signal dropped by 2-3 S units. I
thought it might be QSB.

I switched back to the 40 Mtr phased array and he came up 2-3 S units.
Started switching directions, he was loudest with phased array to either
NW or SE (90 degrees off of direct bearing).  Well I got brave, loaded
the rig, gave a call and cracked a half way large pile up in two calls.
Didn't blow up the MFJ dry dummy load from the dumped power.

I wonder if anyone else has tried the 40 Mtr phased array on 18 Mhz.  I
also wonder if anyone has ever tried modeling this array on 18 Mhz.  It
definitely beat the heck out of a R-7, of course the R-7 is considered
by some to be a "dummy load without radials."

73

WA0ETC
Larry Lindblom
wa0etc@ix.netcom.com

P.S. I'm CCing this to the tower talk reflector to see if anyone else
has experience or thoughts on this.