Beverages close to vertical TX antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Beverages close to vertical TX antennas
From: k4isv@westky.com (Bud)
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 00:23:28 -0600
Jay Terleski wrote:

> Scott Detloff wrote:
> >
> > I have some concern on the closeness of my propossed Beverages and my full
> > size vertical.
> > The verical has 4 elevated radials, but will soon be ground mounted.  One of
> > the Beverages will run within 65' of a 170' tower, and about 70' away from
> > the vertical.
> >
> > Reading ON4UN's book, it says "Large vertical antennas re-radiate strong
> > signals and will upset the directivity pattern of Beverage antenna  if the
> > antennas are seperated by less than 1/4 wavelength."
> >
> > I'm looking for your "real world experience" of how much this will really
> > effect performance.  After the contest last weekend, I'm really looking at
> > the posibilities of running a few 800-1000' Beverages in the next few
> > months.  Any insight you can give would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > 73...Scott
> >
> > --
> > FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/towertalkfaq.html
> > Problems:                 K7LXC@contesting.com
>
> I have had up to 6 beverages working at a time spread around 5 acres.
>
> I had one of them which was within 45 feet of my tranmitting antenna, It
> was the one which never seemed to have much F/B and noise rejection.  It
> would work, but the others worked noticably better.  I moved it this
> season to be about 150 feet away from the transmitting antenna.  Much
> better now.  Its got more F/B and its quieter.  Matter of fact I can
> hear JA on it about as well as the JA Beverage.  So I'm convinced that
> it does make a difference.
>
> Hope this real world example helps.
>
> Jay, WX0B
>
> --
> Problems:                 K7LXC@contesting.com
I use eight beverages all coming to a common point at one of my towers
the beverages are selectable from a remote switch and are available at
4 operating positions.  the beverages are all terminated and run under
various antennas--- none of them are verticals---i have never thought
there was any change in the transmit antennas when i rolled out the
bevs.  ( i do this every year after the last mowing of the yard)
so, my advice is put them out and enjoy some better listening..
73,bud