Experience with Yaesu rotors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Experience with Yaesu rotors
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 12:49:16 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-02-09 11:35:11 EST, jimbo@mdc.net (James Fisk) writes:

>I'm considering either a Yaesu G-1000SDX or G-2800SDX
> to handle a 402CD and a TH7CD, but I've had no
>experience with Yaesu rotors (been using a T2X to
>turn a Wilson System 40 for 15 years) and would
>appreciate any comments from Yaesu users.   Thanks

     While I'll let Yaesu owners comment on their experiences, I thought I'd
run the numbers for rotator capacity.  Yaesu uses a K-Factor which is the
same as the Hy-Gain Effective Moment; that is, it's the antenna weight times
turning radius.  This is a much more meaningful indicator of rotator capacity
than just square footage.

TH7DX = 1500 ft/lbs
402CD = 1056 ft/lbs

Total = 2556 ft lbs.

     The G-1000 is rated at 2020 ft/lbs. so it looks like it won't do it,
especially if you're turning it in any winds.  The 2800 has a 6,780 ft/lbs.
rating and would be more reliable and viable.

    The weak point of the Yaesu is the cast aluminum mast clamp.  They break
easily if not adjusted per factory instructions.

    BTW, the HAM IV is rated at 2800 ft/lbs and the T2X is 3400 ft/lbs.

    For a thorough discussion of rotators, send for a free copy of my 3-part
series on rotors that appeared recently in my Up The Tower column in CQ
Contest magazine.  SASE with 2 stamps to TOWER TECH, Box 572, Woodinville,
WA, 98072.

73,  Steve  K7LXC