Towerbase -- how close to a house?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Towerbase -- how close to a house?
From: lhallin@efn.org (Lee Hallin)
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 97 02:09:09 PST
I am in the process of making a "plot plan" (something the city requires) in
preparation, I hope, to getting a building permit for a tower (50'
self-supporting crankup).  One of the things I have to figure out (and
indicate) is where the tower base will be relative to everything else on the
lot.  I am putting the tower centered along the back of my house.  The base
is supposed to be 7'D x 3.5' x 3.5'.  I want the base to be as close to the
house as possible.

Concern:
  I want to make SURE that I don't dig close enough to the house so as to
  "under mine" (dirt fall into the hole from the foundation side of the
  hole) the foundation.  The area where I will be digging is currently under
  a concrete patio which extends (and has for 8 years) from the foundation
  out (toward the backyard) about 8 feet.

My idea is to leave a 3 foot gap between the foundation and the tower base.

Does this seem far enough away from the foundation?  I plan to start digging
in June; give or take.

Comments?  TIA

73, Lee  WB7SND (ex XR0Z)