Crank-up mishap

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Crank-up mishap
From: kk6t@joneslumber.com (Terry Dunlap)
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 13:53:58 -0500
At 02:59 AM 2/12/97 -0800, Stan Griffiths wrote:
>The rule is never, Never, NEVER, ever, Ever, EVER climb a crankup.  Even if
>it is down and even if you have it safety blocked.  I wouldn't even stand
>one one that is laying on the ground horizontally.
>I actually HAVE climbed crankups in the past.  Some were all the way up (how
>else do you install the blocks between sections so you can take the tension
>off the cable?)  All I can say is that I can't believe how incredibly STUPID
>I was when I did it.  I was lucky then and much wiser now . . .

Those certainly sound like good rules to me but I'm still in the dark about
safe alternatives.  Do you crank the tower all the way down and use an
extension ladder to reach the mast/rotor/antennas?  Do you still block the
tower when using a ladder and if so how do you safely block it before using
a ladder???

73 de Terry KK6T