[TowerTalk] 7 MHz antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 7 MHz antenna
From: sm5dqc@algonet.se (Osten B Magnusson)
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 11:46:45 -0500 (EST)
Have been thinking about a two element beam, 40-2CD or EF240, but don´t think
my tower and rotator will handle that load, there is a KT34A up there now.

So here are four questions, maybe FAQ´s, but I need an answer anyway:

1       A friend of mine has his quarterwave vertical supported by the tower,
        about 4 feet out from tower. Is this OK ? How close to the tower could
        one place a vertical without tower affecting performance, and what
        happens if the vertical is too close ???

2       I know that the GAP Voyager is no good for 160, but some says it´s
        working very fine on 40 and 80. Would that antenna be just as good as
        a fullsize quarterwave vertical on 7 MHz, the vertical having maximum
        eight radials, and probably need to have them elevated.

3       Is the GAP Voyager just a vertical dipole ? If that´s the case it´s
cheaper
        to use a homebuilt one for just 7 MHz......

4       What would YOU recommend for  7 MHz if a beam is not possible ?
        For DX that is.

Please e-mail your answers to:    sm5dqc@algonet.se

Many thanks in advance and 73/DX de Osten / SM5DQC

                                " REAL RADIOS GLOW IN THE DARK "