w6go@netcom.com (Jay O'Brien - W6GO): Re: [TowerTalk] NY TimesAntenna Ar

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: w6go@netcom.com (Jay O'Brien - W6GO): Re: [TowerTalk] NY TimesAntenna Article
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 18:40:39 EST
Jay:

        I do love your story, as it reminds me to mention two other facts
of life to Tower Talk:

*       A helicopter is cheaper than litigation.  In case a reader is
not calibrated on these matters, a tower case, seen through to
conclusion, will cost $10-20K, spent over a period of 1-3 years.

*       If you fear litigation, it is strategically better to litigate
with the antenna up, than to litigate before the antenna goes up.  If you
don't know why, I'll be happy to elaborate. However, for this reason, you
should try to have the permit issued to you on a Friday afternoon.

        Here's a true story.  I've had breakfast with a guy in the land
clearing business and he related this one.  He was hired to clear some
land.  The last approval to construct a golf course was received on a
Thursday night.  He brought in a crew and started cutting down trees on
Friday.  They worked all day Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.  Monday night,
the Conservation Commission (which did not have jurisdiction in the
matter), meeting in regular session, discussed the
permit grant made the previous Thursday night by another Town Board and
issued a letter to the Town Executive Secretary, asking the Executive
Secretary to call the developer and ask him to hold off while the
Conservation Commission decided whether or not it wanted to review the
matter for "policy reasons."

        Two hours later the Executive Secretary was on the phone with the
developer, receiving the news that the land clearing was almost complete
-- for the entire 18 holes.

        Nothing further happened on the question of land clearing
permissions.

Fred Hopengarten, K1VR
Six Willarch Road; Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
617/259-0088; e-mail:  k1vr@k1vr.jjm.com or k1vr@juno.com