[TowerTalk] AB-105 Safety Question - Summary

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] AB-105 Safety Question - Summary
From: n3rd@ix.netcom.com (Dave Hawes)
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 02:02:31 -0400
Thanks to the following for their helpful responses to my question
about replacing the AB-105 guy attachment plates:

N4CC, W8GAZ, K1SD, KO7V, AA1K, W3LPL, KE3Q, NJ4F, N4KG, KS9K, N4KW,
and K3NA.

They provided much useful information, too much to include here, but
if anyone wants copies of the responses, e-mail, and I'll send them
to you.  A brief summary follows:

AB-105 is strong enough to allow removal of a single guy at a time.
Good recommendations for safety were to loosen the other two guys at
that level, and to install a temporary guy above the one being worked
on.

As to the guy attachment plate replacement issue, Mr. AB-105, Frank
Donovan, W3LPL, and a couple of others reminded me that the bolts
don't have to be removed at all, just he nuts.  This precludes the
settling problem.  Even if the bolts were nut side in, they can be
switched one at a time.  Simple.

Frank also scolded me for not using thimbles on the Preformed grips
as they pass through the holes in the plates, even though the holes
were countersunk to remove any sharp edges.  Good advice.  The
replacement installation will utilize heavy duty thimbles which will
not collapse under the forces in the guy wire.

Thanks again for all the help.

73 - Dave N3RD
n3rd@ix.netcom.com
http://www.QTH.com/topten