[TowerTalk] Insulated yagi elements

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Insulated yagi elements
From: sbookout@mnsinc.com (Steve Bookout)
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 17:52:17 -0500
Hello all,

Question for the masses.....

I am building a couple of 15 meter yagis in preparation for good
propagation in the coming years.

I know the cost of 6061-t6 aluminum when used as boom to element plates.
I just happen to have some balistic fiberglass plate scraps which are
about 7/16 inch thick and I want to use this material instead.

Is there anything 'special' I need to know or take into consideration
when using insulated elements vs ones at ground potential?  Obviously, I
won't need to treat these mounting plates as equivilent tubing diameters
as I would if I used aluminum plates.

Since I really sleep better with grounded elements and the static bleed
off they provide, will it be a simple matter for me to just connect the
physical center of each element to the boom via a strap?

I would surely love to avoid mistakes and benifit from those who have
gone before me.

Any ideas on this?

73 de Steve, NJ4F