[TowerTalk] insulated wire wrapped-back

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] insulated wire wrapped-back
From: k0rc@pclink.com (Robert Chudek)
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 17:31:37 +0000
At 08:22 AM 3/22/97 -0800, K6LL wrote:
>David O Hachadorian wrote:
>>
>> I was at another contester's station not too long ago, and
>> noticed that he had constructed his inverted vees with
>> insulated wire, and had looped several feet of excess wire
>> on the ends back on itself without removing the insulation.
>>
>> I wondered about weird end-loading effects, and possibly
>> arcing under high power. Any thoughts or experience one way
>> or the other?
>>
>> Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
>> k6ll@juno.com

Hello Dave...

I use this technique on both my 80 and 160 meter inverted
vee antennas.  I have about 4 feet looped back on each end.
This allows me to easily drop the ends and adjust them to
resonate anywhere I desire without cutting/splicing/soldering
wires.  I run the legal limit on these bands.  Works for me.

   73 de Bob - K0RC

Then KL7HF wrote:

> Has several effects - capacitive hat causing a loading effect - and
>since it is at the voltage peak point of a dipole, hi voltage is
>there, but the voltage developed across 6 inches or so will not be
>high enough to cause arcing.
>However - damned poor practice!
>de KL7HF

Hello KL7HF...

   Where do you get this 6" spacing?  My antenna ends wrap back
upon themselves, the spacing between conductors being only twice
the thickness of the insulation.  Any end loading effect is
compensated by the ease of unwrapping the wire, adjusting the
position of the end insulator, and rewrapping the tail wire.
Anyway, wouldn't end loading pull the current lobe out away from
the center support tower?  I think this is a very good practice!

   73 de Bob - K0RC