[TowerTalk] RE: Using Silicone Grease

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: Using Silicone Grease
From: dick@pobox.com (dick@pobox.com)
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 22:45:21 -0500 (EST)
23 MAR - 2130 CST

Hello Roger...

Since 1989, I have been potting all of my coaxial connectors with a
non-conductive silicone grease before I put them together.

It is a messy process, but well worth the effort.  Use enough to have it
squeeze out of the joint as it is assembled.  That way there will be no
voids to fill with water if your tape wrap later fails.  Once the
connector is mated, I use naptha-soaked paper towels (does not leave any
oily residue and does not attack the vinyl cable sheath) to thoroughly
remove the excess.  Then I use Scotch 33+ wrapped three layers deep in the
manner described by Steve.

I opened a couple of these joints in 1994 and 1995 -- they looked brand
new inside with no trace of moisture, dirt, or corrosion.

There are apparently no electrical consequences using this method - no
weird SWR effects or anything.

73 - Dick Isely, WD9GIG