[TowerTalk] Connectors and the weatherproofing -Reply

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Connectors and the weatherproofing -Reply
From: James_E_Brown@smtp.ord.usace.army.mil (James E Brown)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 10:53:15 -0500
I care about having them come apart easily.  The 3M tape/butyl rubber
connection does come apart easily with a single razor knife cut, and it is
nice to have clean, reusable connectors on the end of the lines.

Be wary of the shrink-wrap stuff on RF connectors.  I have read (but
have no personal experience with) that some of this is not RF-friendly,
and causes strange SWR bumps.  Maybe someone else on the reflector
can go into more detail.

Jim   W4LC

K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
>  > In a message dated 97-03-23 21:19:15 EST, k4sb@avana.net
writes:
>  > > With all due respect, it sounds like you would need about an hour
to get
> the
> >  thing apart.

Hey, who worries about taking the joint APART??  I just hopt that it stays
TOGETHER with no water incursion!  Hey, I'll cut the coax if need be!

By the way, I have found some "shrink wrap" type of black material to
cover connections with that you heat with a torch...  Some guys
installing a comercial satellite installation gave me a couple of pieces... It
seals like the original insulation on the coax and looks totally
waterproof...  I hope someone knows the brand or source for this stuff..

Chuck, KE5FI