[TowerTalk] Antenna Element Corrosion

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Element Corrosion
From: rattmann@cts.com (rattmann)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 11:54:22 -0800 (PST)
KE5FI mentioned:
>There is a "pull-apart" device for cleaning battery terminals that works
>great for tubing.  It has two wire brushes, one will fit inside most
>elements to clean the inside, the other fits the outside...  Very handy
>to clean elements before you put the conductive grease on.

Good idea.  Another is to purchase, at a plumber's wholesale supply place,
two or three plumber's "fit brushes".  These are cylindrical, spirally-wound
wire brushes on twisted wire handles.  I've seen half-inch, five-eighths,
and three-fourths inch ones. I think there are one-inch ones, too.  These
are terrific for polishing the inside of aluminum tubes before applying your
paste for reassembly.

Here is another good idea.  If the used antenna you want to buy and
recondition has lived within a mile of the ocean for a few years, don't buy
the fit-brushes.  Instead, go and buy a new antenna.

73, Glenn K6NA