[TowerTalk] "Another Bright Idea"

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] "Another Bright Idea"
From: K2JAS@worldnet.att.net (Roger L. Elowitz)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 14:56:32 -0500
Hi Henry,

At 06:18 AM 3/24/97 +0000, you wrote:

" here's another question for you,
>does gold radiate better than aluminum oxide?"

I really, honestly and truly don't know and... I don't think I'll ever find
out in the rest of my lifetime.  If I had the money to gold-plate my antenna
joints... I think I'd rather spend it running around naked on a beach in the
South Pacific.  "Damn" the sunburn, the UV rays and screaming "CQ Contest."
"Damn" to watching the ice build up on my gold plated antenna and bring it
twisting and crashing to the ground.  "Yes!" to watching the natives at a
Club Med and drinking Piña Coladas and snorkeling in the surf ;-)

It is an interesting question though.  I too wonder what the ohmic losses
are at the tubing joints and if reducing those losses to an absolute minimum
by any "reasonable" means is worth the trouble over current standard
connection practices? I'm sure if there are guys who factor the differences
in the tubing diameters as the elements taper... into their formulas... if
they've taken the joint losses into any consideration whatsoever?

I'm sure we'll hear from someone on this issue.

Roger, K2JAS