[TowerTalk] Sommer Antennas ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Sommer Antennas ?
From: harpole@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu (Charles H. Harpole)
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 22:50:32 -0500 (EST)
So, I live about 10 miles from Sommer, his home and workshop.  Drove over
there some time ago to take a look.  Mr. Sommer eluded me but his wife
came out and said hello and showed me the workshop.  I offered to put up
one or more of his antennas here in Geneva, FL (up to 120 feet!!) and put
a pic of them on my QSL card with his address, etc.  Then, I offered to
mail every contact I make one of those cards for the next twenty years
(and I contest a lot).  All I wanted was a free antenna;  I'd even put it
up at my own expense.  He said, bah, or "no" or something like that.

Most manufacturers know that they need "an installed base" (i.e., lots of
their product out there in the field working and showing off) in order to
sell products.  Mr. Sommer does not agree, thus no one in contesting
world, or dxing world, or anywhere else (?) has his antennas.  Then,
people can easily, and with some good reason, say-- no one has them, thus
they are no good.

They cost too much to take a chance on.  Wake up, Mr. Sommer.  He is a
heck of a craftsman, I'll say that.  de K4VUD