[TowerTalk] CONDUCTIVITY OF CONCRETE?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] CONDUCTIVITY OF CONCRETE?
From: ke5fi@wt.net (Chuck Dietz (KE5FI))
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 22:43:43 -0600
T. A. Russell wrote:

> Does anyone know the conductivity of concrete?
>
> Is it sufficiently low to use a concrete base as a base insulator
> for a quarter wave vertical fed against ground based radials?

I have heard of U.S Army experiments that showed that a ground rod
encased in concrete was a better (lower resistance) ground than a rod in
dry earth.

When I was in the Army, I could not stand on a concrete floor in my
boots and tune a R-390 receiver because I would feel a shock!

I believe concrete is a good conductor under some circumstances.

Chuck, KE5FI