[TowerTalk] phillistran guy wires

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] phillistran guy wires
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (AA1K jon zaimes)
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 07:55:05 -0500 (EST)
Hi Steve....

I am still using some of the Phillystran guy material I purchased
factory-direct in 1978. It's now at its third QTH, still going strong.
There's no signs of any deterioriation of the outer jacket, which protects
the inner polymers from UV rays.

At my last QTH I had all-Phillystran on a 100-foot Rohn 25 tower, which I
shunt-fed on 160. I decided to add a second tower, but since Phillystran had
added a middleman to the sales stream -- and considerable markup -- I chose
to use steel guys broken with insulators. I was concerned since Tower 2 was
only 90 feet away (toward Europe) from the shunt-fed tower that it might
disrupt the pattern or SWR of the 160m antenna. However, I could see no
change in performance or SWR once Tower 2 was up.

73/Jon AA1K