[TowerTalk] Newsline excerpt - 2000' Tower falls

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Newsline excerpt - 2000' Tower falls
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 12:35:25 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-04-03 00:42:23 EST, k4sb@avana.net writes:

> There is simply no way I will believe a 2000' tower colapsed within a 70'
> radius.

       I had a problem with this statement also.  The documentation that I've
seen shows that guyed towers typically fall in a circle approximately 30% of
their height which in this case would have been 600 feet.  That would be
close enough to 700 feet that I suspect  the writer dropped the last zero in
his statement and probably meant diameter and not radius.

    This goes to show you that even professionals can screw up with drastic
results.  My advice to TowerTalkians is DON'T DO ANYTHING you're not sure
about.  Especially removing bent masts that has been a recent thread.

73,  Steve   K7LXC