[TowerTalk] insulated guys/stacks

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] insulated guys/stacks
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider)
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 02:16:20 -0800
Merv Schweigert wrote:

> >I went with 3/8" fiberglass guy rod made by Polygon (13,000# breaking
> >strength). Glass grips (like Big grips for steel) at each end attached
> >to standard guy hardware is cheaper than insulator-broken-up-steel or
> >Philistran.  And it is NON-conducting, not just "insulated", which means
> >zero-effect on my 4 (soon to be 5) ring rotor mounted antennas, plus
> >zero inductance for lightning (like Philistran)!!
> >
> >Bill, N3RR
> >
> >P.S. Several of us PVRCers and a couple of FRCers also use fiberglass
> >guy rod to eliminate interaction with our "antenna-loaded" towers.
> >

>         Hate to sound so ignorant, but where can I obtain some info
> on Guy rod ??.  doing some rotating towers here and cringing at the
> price of Philystran.. Thanks 73 Merv K9FD

Merv,

There are several vendors.  The one I know of is:

Polygon International
PO BOX 176
Walkerton, IN 46574-0176
219-586-3122

We used their PGP-504 UV Stabilized product bought in 1994.

There are special handling techniques and shelf-life considerations as
well.  Get all of the information before you install this excellent guy
rod.  W3LPL put out a handling report recently.

Their product line is extensive.  Get a catalog and all the technical
specs.

Bill, N3RR