[TowerTalk] Preform Guy Grip Install

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Preform Guy Grip Install
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider)
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 23:40:00 -0700
Keith Morehouse - W9RM wrote:

> Pat Barthelow wrote:
> >
> > NEEDED; FAQs re Preformed, Guy Grips;
>
> I suggest you start by calling Preformed Line Products Company (PLP) in
> where-ever Michigan and request their catalog.  It has a wealth of
> information concerning what amateurs commonly refer to as "preforms" or
> "grips".  My catalog is at home - I'm sure someone here has their phone
> number...
>
> This reference source will show you the proper procedures for installing
> these products, as well as give you all the guidance you need in
> selecting the proper termination.
>
> BEWARE !  PLP makes hundreds of different kinds of terminations - each
> one engineered for a specific type of "cable".  One can NOT grab any old
> PLP product for a certain diameter cable and expect it to safely work on
> galvanized guy strand.
>
> PLP makes terminations for galvanized, ungalvanized, stainless,
> aluminium, phosphore bronze, ect - right hand lay, left hand lay - 7
> strand, 14 strand, ect ect ect ect - you get the picture !
>
> ---------------------------###-----------------------------
> PROBE ELECTRONICS 100 Higgins Road, Park Ridge IL 60068 USA
> Keith J. Morehouse /  W9RM  / Society of Midwest Contesters
> 847-696-2828  FAX: 847-698-2045  e-mail: blckhole@ripco.com
> ---------------------------###-----------------------------
>
> --

Several of us have bought PLP's Glasgrips for my fiberglas guy rod.  I
agree with the advice above: talk to the PLP engineering staff to be
sure you use the correct grip/part for your application.

The two people I worked with in 1995 were:

John Hofstetter, Sales Manager, 216-461-5200
John Corrao, Field Sales Representative, 216-461-5200, 216-473-9204
(direct line)

I also agree, their catalog is quite a learning experience.

Bill, N3RR@EROLS.COM