[TowerTalk] Lightening question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightening question
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher, W4AN)
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 21:21:39 -0400 (EDT)
I'm in the process of making my shack remote controlled over the phone
lines.  This presents me with the challenge of how to keep the radio working
through an electrical storm.  My shack is on a very high hill and the
tallest tower sticks up above everything for several miles.  I have the
following in place or will be in place before the station is QRV remotely:

1.  All coax comes through an aluminum bulkhead that is grounded.
2.  All gear is grounded to a copper bus bar with 1" strap and each side of
the bus bar is grounded to an 8' copper ground rod.
3.  Each tower has 3 8' ground rods on each leg of the tower.
4.  Every antenna is fed with hardline that runs underground.  On the
tallest tower, each piece of hardline is grounded (common) at the base of
the tower to an 8' ground rod.
5.  Each bands antennas are controlled by at least one Ameritron RCS8V
remote antenna switch.  10, 15, and 20 have two RCS8V's.  One for switching
the stacks and the other for selecting antennas.  The switches will be
powered off remotely when the station is not in use.  When off, all
connections are grounded I believe.
6.  At the bulkhead I will install some kind of lightening arrestor.  Any
suggestions to brand and type?
7.  I will install protection on each of my rotor & control cables before
they enter the shack.  So far no problems, but I'm leaving myself wide open.
8.  High quality surge protection on AC lines & on telephone line already in
place.
9.  Electrical and phone lines are underground for 1500' before going above
ground.

OK... What am I forgetting?  Any suggestions?

73

Bill, W4AN

Bill Fisher, W4AN (EX KM9P)
http://www.contesting.com