[TowerTalk] mast weight = a non issue!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] mast weight = a non issue!
From: w2up@Op.Net (Barry Kutner)
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 13:17:02 +0000
On 11 Apr 97, K4OJ@aol.com <K4OJ@aol.com> wrote:

> Did you know that the very popular ham series of rotors is set up for a 2" OD
> mast? Think about it - you are moving one side of that clamp only....and this
> means that if you are committing the towertalkian sin of using 1 1/2" water
> pipe which has an OD less than 2" you are turning that mast in an oblong
> orbit! After 25 years of doing this that hit me recently.  Oooooooooops -
> QFU!

Close, but no cigar.

The Hygain rotors (T2X, HAM-X) are designed for a 2 1/16 inch O.D.
mast. Anything smaller should be shimmed for on-center rotation.
Barry
P.S. No, I'm not using shims on my 2 inch O.D. mast

--
Barry Kutner, W2UP              Internet: w2up@op.net
Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com