[TowerTalk] 20 METER STACKING DISTANCE

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 20 METER STACKING DISTANCE
From: geoiii@bga.com (george fremin iii)
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 21:34:35 -0500 (CDT)
>It depends on the boom length, but on HF typically you want at least 1/2
>wavelength spacing, which will give you reasonable gain and an improved
>pattern.  3/4 wave spacing is usually about optimum for gain but the
>pattern degrades (compared to 1/2 wave) as you move towards this
figure.

I think the most important thing to worry about at HF is
the arrival angle.  Getting the correct arrival angle
for a path is worth many more db than the few that
you gain by getting the *best* spacing between the antennas.

>Most guys running stacked long-boom 20's use 50 and 100' which is usually
>optimum (note this is about 3/4 wavelength spacing).

The reason for puttting them at 100/50 is to get the great
range of arrival angle coverage that the 1.5 over .75 wave
above ground provides.

--

George Fremin III
Austin, Texas C.K.U.            "I'm on a mexican radio"