[TowerTalk] Breakthrough Ground Rod Technique

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Breakthrough Ground Rod Technique
From: k1er@gte.net (John D. Peters)
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 06:18:03 -0700
Leikhim, Joe wrote:

> Roger L. Elowitz wrote:
> >
> > Hi Gang,
> >
> > We here at K2JAS  <SNIP>
>
> >Then, the fuses would be lit and the large series of
> >small simultaneous blasts would blow the rock below to smitherines
> >allowing ground rods to be easily inserted.
>
> I know I am a bit off subject here but this begs a question that has
> bugged me for years. What the hell is a "smithereen"?? I assume that it
> must be a sub-atomic particle like a Quark. Any one have an answer??
>
> --
> Joe Leikhim
> Jleikhim@nettally.com
>
> "tv dinner by the pool,
> i'm so glad i finished school" -F.Zappa 1967
>
> "The Revolution will NOT be televised" -Gil Scott Heron
>
> --

Always ready to serve and enlighten:

Smithereens: n.pl, [Ir. smidirin.] small fragments or broken pieces;
bits. [collog]  Right there on page 1714 in your Webster's Unabridged.

In Colorado, the ground is so hard they borrow an A-10, complete with 500
lb GP bombs, to create a tiny hole into which you can insert a ground
rod.  That gets it started, then you pound away with the post driver.

Or if you have access to nuclear weapons, there used to be one designed
for "cratering" concrete runways.  A steel (Chrome Moly 4130?) spike is
embedded in the concrete by slamming the weapon rapidly into the ground,
after which a fairly large nuclear explosion "blows things to
smithereens" and you can install ground rods in the debris.

73 John K1ER