[TowerTalk] Update: Horizontal Loop Help

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Update: Horizontal Loop Help
From: bobkathylangham@worldnet.att.net (bobkathylangham)
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 08:41:22 -0400
Greetings to all,

Sorry its taken so long to get back to everyone concerning my problem
with the horizontal loop that I put up to replace my dipole, but I've
spent more time traveling in the last month then normal.  I had a lot of
suggestions as to what the problem might be and things to check. What I
found to date is a bad ground wire from the tuner.  By replacing it I
was able to tune the antenna up from 10 through 40 meter, however, I
can't get the tuner to handle either 80 or 160m.  I'm going to try and
add some additinal length to see if that will help.  I can't see where
there is any arcing or shorts within the tuner or the antenna.  I'm also
ordering out a 4:1 balun to place into the line to eliminate the balum
in the tuner.  There have been a couple of cases where the balum seem to
shut down, I think, because I will transmit, the swr goes thru the roof
and it sounds, on receive, like I'm listening thru a 40' pipe.  I wait
about 5 minutes and the reception comes back to normal, but it remains
normal on my other antenna.  I haven't been able to find a short or cold
solder joint anywhere.  Just for information, with the dipole, I fed it
with RG-58 stright into the tuner, whereas, with the loop, the
ladderline runs into the tuner.

Thats where I'm at for now, I'll update everyone more as things
progress.

I would like to thank Pete, KS4XG, Jerry, NO2T, John, N3HBX, Rick, N6CR,
Ken, K4XL, LB, W4RNL, Scott, N1SP and Ed, NA5B for all their suggestions
and comments.  Again, sorry about how long its taken to get this far.

73,

Bob N8YGG