[TowerTalk] coating galv. guy rods

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] coating galv. guy rods
From: k6ll@juno.com (David O Hachadorian)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 09:42:47 EDT
On Fri, 25 Apr 1997 08:19:01 -0400 (EDT) "Charles H. Harpole"
<harpole@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu> writes:
>What about coating all galv. metal that goes into soil and concrete
>with a
>roofing tar or some such goop prior to burial?  I did that recently
>with
>bolt legs for HBX tower into concrete and also for legs of a HyTower.
>The
>stuff is very black, very thick, petro product.  What's say?  de K4VUD

The report that I received from AA0CY suggests that, as
a partial solution, the entire buried surface be coated
with an electrically insulating epoxy. However, if there
are any "holidays" in the coating, the exposed metal in
this area will corrode faster than if the entire surface
were uncoated.

I guess you could stick an ohmmeter into your
roofing tar to check its resistivity. I would
guess that it's not very high, compared to some epoxies.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
k6ll@juno.com