[TowerTalk] CC&R's

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] CC&R's
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 17:37:11 EDT
From:
Fred Hopengarten  K1VR
617/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:  fhopengarten@mba1972.hbs.edu

On Thu, 1 May 1997 02:30:50 +-100 Paul van der Eijk <pvander@erols.com>
writes:

>Looks like a nice and complete list. When I filed for my 'tower', I
>left the specification for the antenna out on purpose. I did not want to

>file for a modification when I changed antenna etc. And a tower without
>an antenna looks better for the non-hams too.
>
>73 Paul KK4HD

K1VR replies:

Paul has a good point here.  If you CAN, you SHOULD apply for the antenna
support structure without specifying the antennas.  I have worked on, and
succeeded at, obtaining permits for towers without specifying the
antennas.  But you may still have to specify windload capability.
However, in my experience, most building inspectors, planning boards, and
boards of appeal, want to know what's going up on the tower.  The
building inspector may not accept an application without the antennas.

Yet this may not end the discussion.  If you are in a political
situation, I always recommend applying for a small antenna system (a
tribander), and then trying to work with the building inspector at a
later date (one year or more) to find out if he really needs to go back
through hearings just to add a shorty forty, or change to a Christmas
tree.

As the former Speaker of the House said:  "All politics is local."

-- Fred K1VR