[TowerTalk] Tower installs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower installs
From: n4si@pobox.com (n4si@pobox.com)
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 02:51:08 +0000

> 1)    How much Rohn 25 can you safly tilt up in one section?

It depends on how many people you have available, and how much rope
and extra tower you have.

If you only have 2 people, 20' may be your limit, possibly 30'. At
Field Day several years ago, I engineered the erection of 2 60'
towers. We did each one as one tower. It takes about 20 people, lot's
of rope, and 2 extra sections.

Here's how to do it:

Assemble all 6 sections on the ground. Assemble the 2 extra sections
(gin pole) and stand them at the bottom of the tower going up, attach
loosely with rope or slings. Rig all guy lines. Run the guy lines
from the leg that is facing up over the gin pole. Attach a line to
the base of the tower and secure it to a significant stake (very
important step; when the tower starts going up, the base wants to
kick out). Assign people as follows:

     1 or 2 at the base to help keep the gin pole vertical
     3 or 4 at the end of the lower guy going over the gin pole
     3 or 4 at the end of the upper guy going over the gin pole
     2 each on each of the other guys. Have them near the location
          where the guys will be attached.
     4 or 5 (use your tallest people here) at the top of the tower.
     1 person who oversees the operation. This person is the boss.
          Allow instructions only from them.

Start by having the crew at the top start walking up the tower. The
people handling the guys over the gin pole start pulling at the same
time. The crew at the top will run out of work to do very quickly;
have them take positions at the side guys when done.

Ensure that the side guy crews keep some tension in the lines, but
just enough to keep the tower straight; you don't want them fighting
the lifting crew.

As the bottom guy begins to clear the gin pole, have the base crew
attend it to walk it down. The top guy will have cleared much
earlier. The overseer must watch for vertical in all planes and call
for the guy crews to adjust accordingly. When the tower nears
vertical, have some of the hauling crew cast loose to equalize the
tension being applied to the other guy crews.

It is difficult to see all planes, so the overseer should accept
input from ONE person on each of the side guys.

> 2)    When you put the first, (bottom), guy wire onto a equilizer
> plate, will that "tilt" the plate up and require readjusting after
> getting all 3 sets attached?

Yes, to all of that.

> I would like to put 50' togeather on the ground and tilt that
> up. That would give me 2 sets of guys. Then put the last 2
> sections on using a gin pole.

Manpower is the key. Good luck.

73, Rod N4SI
    The DXer formerly known as N9AKE