[TowerTalk] power line noise (fwd)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] power line noise (fwd)
From: aa6eg@tmx.com (Pat Barthelow)
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 17:18:35 -0700 (PDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 17:02:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: Pat Barthelow <aa6eg@tmx.com>
To: AA4NC@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] power line noise

Hi  AA4NC  (what's the name?)

Pat, AA6EG here from the NPS ARC. We have a guru that consults with the
Navy on noise amelioration for Navy HF receiving sites who gave a talk
about the art recently...at the K6LY club meeting. Yes!  There  are standing
waves of noise on
lines that can mislead you as to the source of the noise, due to their
spatial offsets from the noise source.  There is a systematic way to go
after your noise, in fact our GURU, Professor Vincent, of ECE department, at
NPS Literally wrote the NAVY Reference (internal, unfortunately) book on
procedures to locate noise sources..., but look with an AM VHF receiver to
do the close in
work on locating the source.....Also, the noise going away when wet can
point to MANY different problems, probably NOT insulators.  In fact
DIRTY INSULATORS DO NOT CAUSE HF noise interference, according to Prof
Vincent.  Look for loose, rusty, or corroded metal fittings which develop
oxide coatings that are "puncutured" by the high voltage fields during
each swing of the AC waveform....Especially bad are Bell shaped insulator
stacks, especially those that are not under large mechanical strain.  If
a noisy bell insulator is found, have the power company replace the bell
insulators with a newer type, called Epoxylator...worked wonders here.....
 TOO MUCH TO GO INTO DETAIL HERE, but if you want to know more, get back
to me and I will refer you to the GURU, or one of his followers....
good luck....
73, de Pat, AA6EG/N6IJ; aa6eg@tmx.com