[TowerTalk] Locating power line noise

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Locating power line noise
From: csummers@diac.com (Charlie Summers)
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 07:09:49 -0600
I have found that the little Kenwood RZ-1 which allows me to listen on
2M and or 440MHz AM is a great little toy for locating line noise
problems.  Actually, any device which allows one to listen in AM but
high in frequency will do such as some of the Radio Shack scanners.

Please note AM is the mode to use when trying to locate noise,

I merely drive around with a 2M vertical on and when I am within say 100
feet of the noise SOURCE, I start to hear it on my radio.  I then switch
to 480MHz and a 6 element Cushcraft yagi and I can tell you which ground
clip or which isulator is the culprit.

It is important to get high enough in frequency so that one gets away
from this re-radiation problem like we experience when trying to locate
noise on the car's radio.

If I cannot drive into an area, such as someone's back yard where I feel
noise is originating, I also carry a 2M yagi with me that I can sniff
for noise at long range.

Using these methods, I have not had a problem locating noise.  I have
even helped IREA locate troublesome noise that they don't seem to be
able to quickly find.

Hope this helps those who are hampered by power line noise problems.

73,

Charlie, W0YG..>>