[TowerTalk] Rohn joint bolts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn joint bolts
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 18:25:30 -0700 (PDT)
>>aluminum was turning to white powder.  I consulted a table of metals and
>>found that aluminum and steel are quite far apart on the "galvanic action"
>>scale.
>
>Hi Stan. Where would one find this "table of metals"? I'd like to have one
>myself.
>Thanks!
>

>73 de Dave Hockaday WB4IUY
>Youngsville, NC
>wb4iuy@ipass.net
>WB4IUY@W4RAL.#RTP.NC.USA.NOAM

Hi Dave,

It occurred to me that the table might be useful to everyone on the
towertalk list so I am going to see if I can find the info again.  It is a
"chemistry thing" having to do with how different metals react chemically
with each other in the outside environment.  The whole process is not unlike
what happens inside of a battery as metals react with each other and other
things like acid.  Sometimes, like in storage batteries, we like chemical
reactions to take place.  Other times we don't.  We CAN control the whole
process some by proper selection of metals that contact each other.  I
learned all of this (somewhat) in my junior year of college when taking
chemistry.  That was almost 40 years ago . . . so I have some reviewing to do.

I think the data can be found in any undergraduate college general chemistry
text, if you just knew what to look for.  Look in the index under "Galvanic
Action", I think.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com