[TowerTalk] Re: [DX] New HF beam product announcement

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: [DX] New HF beam product announcement
From: dpbunte@juno.com (David P Bunte)
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 22:42:18 EDT

On Sun, 18 May 1997 04:00:22 -0700 "Edward W. Sleight"
<k4sb@worldnet.att.net> writes:
>Well Joe, you no doubtably noticed that the gain wasn't referenced to
>any standard.

Ed -

        It is appropriate, and natural, to be skeptical of claims made
any time a new product is introduced, but I think your initial response
("BS") to the announcement of the  BENCHER antenna was inappropriate.  It
certainly added nothing to our understanding of antennas in general, or
that product in particular.  At most, it gives an impression of you, as a
fellow ham, that I think most of us would have rather not received.  When
I then saw your response, quoted above, to Joe, I realized that perhaps
you:

        1.      Did not receive the same product info I did...

        2.      Did not read the info you received...

        3.      Did not believe the info you read...

        4.      Do not understand how to read and interpret antenna
specs           when they are presented...

        (Or, perhaps a combination of the above.)

        The data I received in the product announcement clearly claims
forward gain in dbi.  Furthermore, I appreciate that the data  states how
many elements are used on each band, and what length of the boom is
covered by those elements.  The gain figures for that number of elements
on a boom of the indicated length do not appear to be out of line, so I
am puzzled as to the reason for the critical tone of your posts.
        Obviously, it will take time, and experience, on the part of a
number of users, to really get a handle on whether this product will
satisfy legitimate needs of the ham community...but based on the track
record of the principles involved, I am more inclined to expect success
than to condemn on first reading.

David Bunte-K9FN
129 Ivy Hill Drive
West Lafayette, IN  47906-4865