[TowerTalk] exporting EZNEC descriptions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] exporting EZNEC descriptions
From: cebik@utkux.utcc.utk.edu (L. B. Cebik)
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 16:00:04 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 20 May 1997, Pete Soper wrote:

> Hi,
>       Anybody out there have a clever trick for getting an antenna description
> based on an EZNEC model into an ASCII file?

Pete's question is bound to become more regular as more versions of NEC
appear.  However, .EZ files are stored binary.  EZNEC Pro/EZNEC/4 have an
option for saving a file as an .NEC file.  This works well, although my
experience suggests that such models should be saved with a voltage
source, not a current source.  Although most interfaces use the same
technique for creating a current source, the implementations differ just
enough so that not all of them are compatible.

EZNEC Pro can also import .NEC files, but does not handle all cards in the
complete deck (no patches, helices, Green's functions [although you can
import other EZNEC wire descriptions], etc.), so post conversion touch up
may be necessary.

Although I have no desire to be drowned in a sea of conversions, if you
just gotta have a conversion and cannot talk the boss into EZNEC Pro
(where "boss" may be employer or YL), let me know.  .EZ files come and go
best as OCTET-STREAM attachments, while NEC decks can be put in the body
of the message.

-73-

LB, W4RNL

L. B. Cebik, W4RNL         /\  /\     *   /  /    /    (Off)(423) 974-7215
1434 High Mesa Drive      /  \/  \/\     ----/\---     (Hm) (423) 938-6335
Knoxville, Tennessee     /\   \   \ \   /  / || /      (FAX)(423) 974-3509
37938-4443     USA      /  \   \   \ \       ||              cebik@utk.edu