[TowerTalk] Rain Static vs Feed System

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rain Static vs Feed System
From: NB1B@aol.com (NB1B@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 20:49:32 -0400 (EDT)
Can rain static be reduced by changing the feed system?  The 3-stack of
4-element 20 meter beams all have their driven elements insulated from the
boom, and during certain rain or snow conditions the static is 20db over S9.
 Our normal answer- listen on the low beam- didn't work this past weekend, as
the rain static was S7 while it was raining.  After it stopped raining, the
noise went away.  If we changed the feed systems to one where the driven
element is grounded to the boom, can we reduce the effect of the rain static?
 Anyone have any experience with this?  Thanks for all replies.  Dennis NB1B