[TowerTalk] An Engineering Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] An Engineering Question
From: n4xm@iglou.com (Paul D. Schrader)
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 18:02:12 -0400
Dave,

I once had a Rohn 45 at 115 ft with large beams at 116 and 125 ft.  It had
guy anchors at 25, 30, and 35 ft from the tower; the top guys tied to the
35 ft out anchors.

The key is to have enough guys, strong enough anchors, strong enough
wire, and strong enough tower.  There is nothing magic about how far out
the guy wires are.

I had three qualified people check the calculations.  Me (I'm an E.E. P.E.),
a Mechanical P.E., and the factory guy.

It stayed up through some big winds and ice storms etc. until I took it down in
1973 to move.  There was a picture of of it with the ARRL DX phone contest
results in QST in the sixties with my old call W4BCV.

If it had fallen it would have taken out 3 houses.  A neighbor called the zoning
commission who came out to inspect it.  There was no zoning restriction and he
looked at it carefully and told me it was the finest tower installation he
had ever
seen.  (It was in a subdivision.)

Things can be done different than the norm if you know what you are doing.  If
you don't know, find someone (or hire someone) who does.  Or don't do it!

I hope this has been of some help.

                        73  Paul N4XM