[TowerTalk] Balun for KT-34A

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Balun for KT-34A
From: fisher@hp-and2.an.hp.com (Tony Brock-Fisher)
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 14:22:04 -0400
John et al-

Here's an excerpt from an earlier posting of mine, which relates to KT-34
baluns:

This analysis does not include the losses in the balun - which can be
studied and analyzed by itself. For a great reference, see Jerry Sevick's
books, and WA2SRQ's posts on feedpoint baluns. As a side note, I
considered replacing the KLM balun in one of the earlier rebuilds.
There was nothing wrong with it, other than 'looking old'. I bought
a cheapo 200:50 ohm balun from another source - KLM price was high.
Being the enginurd type I am, I tested the two baluns on a network
analyzer at work. The KLM balun was superior by far, giving a
good 50 ohm match over the entire bandwidth. The aftermarket balun
was way off - like 25-30 ohms! So I put the 'old looking' balun back
up, and returned the replacement unit - no problems!

-Tony, K1KP, fisher@hp-and2.an.hp.com