[TowerTalk] HF remote controlled stations

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HF remote controlled stations
From: EEDWARDS@oppd.com (eedwards@oppd.com)
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 10:51:58 -0500
--Boundary-1169671-0-0

Dave K4JRB wrote:
>HamLink HL-60 allows remote control from a touch tone phone.  W2AH was >using
this package and it worked very well on 17 meters..he worked rare >DX sitting
in Las Vegas!
>AEA bought these from another Seattle firm, but don't know if they were
>purchased in the buyouts.

Regarding the HL-60 made by Amateur Radio Engineering (ARE), I just bought one
at an auction in April and have not had time to play with it yet.  I don't
think it'll be robust enough to do all what you want to do, but it may do part
of it.  It can turn on ur rig and accessories upon answering the phone and
successful password access.  You can then change modes & freq and xmit or rvc
in SSB or CW (although you'll need CW-Link to really use a Keyer instead of
the pound key on the phone).

I asked a question on HamTech and DX relfelctors last month about this device
and here's a definitive response on who has this product now:

>>Ed,
The ARE products were purchased by AEA (Advanced Electronics
Applications, Inc.).  In April, 1997, Timewave Technology Inc.
purchased all the products of AEA except the antennas and antenna
analyzers. HamLink and RadioLink are included in the products
purchased by Timewave.  Timewave has made no decision yet about the
continuing the production of HamLink and RadioLink.  Check our Web
page (www.timewave.com) for the latest information about the ramp up
of the AEA products.  We update the page as often as we have new
information available - usually every 1 to 2 weeks.
73,
Randy Gawtry, K0CBH
Timewave Technology Inc.<<

I also got good and bad opinions on the product.  Apparently it is somewhat
flaky and can change freqs on you due to phone line noise or something.  I'm
mostly interested in being able to listen (not xmit) and check if a particular
DX spot I see at work can be heard on my shack at home.  If it's RARE enough,
I might come down with the Dee-Exx Flu and hurry home for the Que-Ess-Ooh flu
treatment (i.e. K0IL, ur 599 T U es 73 de 5A1A QRZ?).

Consider using a Code Operated Switch to access different devices with
separate interfaces.  Black Box makes one for just under a $1000 bucks.

73,
de ed -- K-zero-IL
eedwards@oppd.com

--Boundary-1169671-0-0

From:"David L. Thompson" <owner-towertalk@contesting.com>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HF remote controlled stations

Besides MLINK there were two packages that AEA sold for remote control.

Radio Link RL-1 allows for handheld or VHF mobile remote control.
Documentation seemed good and there are a number of users.  Someone had
Rdaio Link for sale for about $70 recently on .rec.radio.swap newsgroup.

HamLink HL-60 allows remote control from a touch tone phone.  W2AH was using
this package and it worked very well on 17 meters..he worked rare DX sitting
in Las Vegas!

AEA bought these from another Seattle firm, but don't know if they were
purchased in the buyouts.

Dave K4JRB

--Boundary-1169671-0-0--