[TowerTalk] AB-105 Guying

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] AB-105 Guying
From: n4kw@citrus.infi.net (Pete Raymond)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:42:47 -0400 (EDT)
     Everything I read here in Florida indicates that we are in for a bad
hurricane season this year.
     That being said, I am thinking of beefing up the tower guying
situation.  At present I have a AB-105 tower that is 105 feet tall.  It
is guyed at the 30, 60 and 90' levels down to one anchor per leg located 85
feet from the bottom of the tower.  The top set of guys are 5/16 ehs and the
two bottom sets are 1/4 ehs.  As you can see I have 15 feet
of unguyed tower with a large 5el 20m yagi on a 46' boom that weights
upwards of 140lbs and plan to put a
15m 5el above it.
     My question is this, I am thinking of adding another set of 5/16 ehs up
to the top of the tower 105'
and adding another anchor out about 100' from the bottom of the tower.  I am
a little concerned about
down pressure developed by the two sets of 5/16 guys.  Is this overkill, or
if I place the new set up at
the top should I leave the other set at the 90' level.  I'm not sure which
is the best way to go, and allow
me to sleep at night during the big winds ha.  73 Pete N4KW