[TowerTalk] Should base section contact rebar?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Should base section contact rebar?
From: ad4hw@citrus.infi.net (Dan)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 20:23:07 -0400
Hi OM's

I'm putting up an 80 ft tower, with Rohn 25 and 3 sets of uninsulated guys.
 I will be using a 3-band Yagi.  I'm using a 5 ft base section, and a
poured concrete base with rebar.  I've read that the base section should
not contact the rebar--dire consequences when lightning hits.  Other
installation guides don't mention it.  Also, have any of you "wired" the
rebar to the base section so as to help hold it in position during the
pour?

The same question extends to the guy anchors.  Is it not OK for the guy
anchor rod to touch the rebar?  It's very tempting to wire them together
during the pour.

Have any of you experienced concrete damage during a lightning hit (either
at the base or guy anchor)?

I should be ready for the concrete truck in about a week.  I would
appreciate hearing of your experiences.  Thanks in advance & 73!

Dan Long (W4TQ)
8035 Tokyo Pt.
Dunnellon, FL 34433
e-mail: ad4hw@citrus.infi.net