[TowerTalk] Light up those towers.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Light up those towers.
From: broz@csn.net (John Brosnahan)
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 23:16:53 -0600 (MDT)
At 01:04 AM 6/13/97 +0100, you wrote:
>>Edward W. Sleight wrote:
>>>
>> Guys, let me add my 2 cents worth here. The FAA requires that ALL
>>towers above a certain height be both painted, and have suitable
>> obstruction lighting.

I spent a few YEARS negotiating with the FAA on my towers
and they said something to the effect that the actual height
for which lighting is required is a variable.  If someone wanted
to put up a 300ft tower in the middle of the desert, they would
review the application and might not require lighting.

The "certain height" you mentioned is a variable that is site
dependent.

I have a lot of horror stories about why it took years to get my
issues settled (in my favor) but I would recommend staying away
from the FAA if at all possible.

73  John  W0UN