[TowerTalk] more questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] more questions
From: nx1g@top.monad.net (Craig Clark)
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 10:42:22 -0400
>QUESTION:
>Does anyone know the cost of buying and setting various wooden
>telephone/power poles as antenna supports? Probably have to be a used one
>since I've heard it may cost $3000 for a new one?  Any info would be greatly
>appreciated.

Used to be PSNH (our local power company would let you haul them away. I
used 6 for my pole barn. However, in a sign of "infinite wisdom" our govt
(state, Fed, I don't know) has classified them "toxic waste" and you cant do
that any more. The foreman did say, if they dissappeared overnight, they
wouldn't pursue whoever took them. I've gotten a bundle of poles from them
over the years.

Your utility may not be as "ham-strung" as mine is.

>QUESTION:
>I'd still like to hear from anyone out there using a LM470 with an extended
>mast and stacked antennas - what are your thoughts about how stable and safe
>it is in 'normal' winds?

I have a W-67 Tri-ex and I don't think I would stack antennas on a
crank-up..... Not no way, not no how!

It is a great tower for the price I paid and what I use it for. When
installing, make sure you use enuff concrete of the right kind (buy the
pre-mixed stuff.)

Have fun. I'd let my budget guide my decisions!

Craig

                   Web Page coming along slowly
                        www.radiobooks.com

                        Craig Clark, W1JCC
                    ex NX1G, N1ACH, WA1QWW, WN1IGG

        send me e-mail and I'll put you on our mailing list

                        Radio Bookstore
        Books for Amateur Radio, SWL and CB Radio Operators
                        (603) 899 6957
                        (603) 899 6826 fax
                        PO Box 209
                        Rindge, NH 03461