[TowerTalk] Favorite Tribander

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Favorite Tribander
From: steve@gamecash.com (Steve Weisbrod)
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 97 09:30:00 -0600
See I knew it.

 ----------
From:  'N0OEL@aol.com'
Sent:  Wednesday, June 25, 1997 12:06 AM
To:  steve; 'towertalk@contesting.com'

I have been reading Towertalk for a long time and have heard about lots
of
beams.
Asking someone what kind of beam one likes best like Frank, W0CECS,
mentioned
is like asking someone what is the best car on the road.   The favorites
abound and what is right for one person is not often right for another
but
heres my favorite:

Explorer 14 by Hy-Gain!    Its 14 foot boom and 31 foot elements beats
lots
of beams
I have compared locally and many of them much larger.   It was computer
designed by Hy-Gain and tested inside out in their antenna fields in
Lincoln
to perfection.   Its
front to back is outstanding and is a real champ on DX as well as
contesting.

I have suggested it to other amateurs and all of them have reported
outstanding results.    It has a little more windload (7.5 sq ft) than
other
tribanders its size but its
worth the extra load.    Its tough and holds up well through the big
winds.
Mine has been up 7 years and I speak from experience!

I avoided the add-on 40 mtr option for the driven element due to
additional
windload
but its worth the extra cost if you have the load capability.

I find Hy-Gain outstanding on parts availability and responding to
requests
for help
with sticky problems.    The Hy-Gain Explorer 14 has been a winner for
me.

73
Mike
K0BUD