[TowerTalk] Be careful.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Be careful.
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 12:19:57 -0700 (PDT)

>Hello Towertalkins.
>This weekend I brought my Hazer down and added a 80m sloper. It worked
>really well and I plan to add a bottom hat and coil to put it on 160m.
>I was really kindof upset after I was finished because I could not find
>my favorite Swiss Army knife. I looked everywhere. Thats when I thought
>maybe I left it sit on the Hazer shelf. Well last night after work I
>started to crank the thing down. Thats when I heard something fall! Sure
>enough the knife came down blade open! It just missed me! Maybe Hard hats
>are a good idea you never know whats up there?
>
>73 Steve W8GAZ

Wow!  Yet ANOTHER new way to get maimed by a crankup.  (I know what a Hazer
is and it has a winch and a cable which makes it a LOT like a crankup.)

Yes, I know you could leave an open knife on a guyed tower, too, but it's
all that moving around as you turn the crank that caused it to slip over the
edge and you HAVE to stand right under it during the cranking operation.  I
didn't ever say guyed towers were completely safe, just much safer than the
other kind.

I'm darn glad you weren't hurt, Steve, and thanks for sharing that story.
It took guts to tell it.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com