[TowerTalk] TH7 versus KT34XA

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TH7 versus KT34XA
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 16:46:58 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-06-26 14:31:05 EDT, thompson@mindspring.com (David L.
Thompson) writes:

>  I have replaced caps twice since
>  1981 when I got it...and I have a crank up so I can bring it down to roof
>  level to work on it.

     My condolences on replacing the KLM KT34 caps; I wouldn't wish that on
anyone. I would rather buy a new antenna than take one apart and refurb it.

>  I would suspect the problem with the TH7 would be the traps.

     Hy-Gain traps have held up better than average over the years. The trap
design has been around since 1966 and has proven to be a sound design.

>  Now someone at Hy-Gain passed the word that the TH11 has improved
>  performance on 10 and 20 over the TH7.  Is this selling hype or truth?

      The "someone" at Hy-Gain was Roger Cox, WB0DGF, who was involved in
designing both the TH7 and the TH11. He has spent many hours with both of
these antennas on his computer and also on the Telex antenna range. He's one
of the most knowledgeable, professional antenna designers working today. BTW,
Roger is unable to "hype" anything; it's just not in his character.

73,  Steve  K7LXC