[TowerTalk] drilling chromoly es similar pipe

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] drilling chromoly es similar pipe
From: k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller)
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 17:10:10 -0500
Tyler....

Agreed about the bolt...but...most people believe (wrongly) that everything
will stay the same.  When you have wind, rain, sleet, snow, and various
other forms of weather above the roof line or tree line, something is
stressed.  If you use a bolt through a hole in the mast...the bolt or the
mast WILL give.  I understand that the bolt is not meant to take ALL the
torque, but people rely on them way to much.  I have seen bolts break and
holes wallow out.  Just a hugh expense and an accident waiting to happen.
Never...NEVER....drill a hole in a mast.  It is not worth it.  The rotation
of the beam will severelt over tax the bolt and the mast over time.
Guranteed.  K7LXC came up with a neat idea I had never heard of..and that is
to wrap the mast that goes into the rotor with some rubber and tighten the
rotor down.  I could see that gripping better than metal on metal.  Never
used the technique...but plan to shortly.

Of course...this is IMHO.

Lee
k0wa@southwind.net